Monday, September 20, 2010

Currently Reading: The Hunger Games Series

Holy crap where in the hell have I been? I have read through The Hunger Games and Catching Fire and am now a quarter of the way through Mockingjay.

Why I discover a great series when the last book comes out is beyond me.

I love the main characters.

  • You have Katniss, who is this kick ass girl who sneaks into the forbidden woods in her district and hunts to keep her family fed. Without giving away plot, she is completely kick ass without knowing it, IMO.

  • Then there is Gale, sweet hunk of a man Gale. Who is kick ass Katniss' best friend. He's handsome and he hunts. Nuff said. Even the times in the book when they are not hunting I picture him dirty from a hunt.[perv] Not to mention the sexual tension that comes with having a penis and being friends with kick ass Katniss.

  • Peeta, is a boy after my own heart. I can't say a lot about him without giving away major plot, so I'll just say that I am soooo Team Peeta! He's the character that is mentally strong and very smart with the way he unrolls his plans.

  • Last but not least my dear old Haymitch Abernathy! The drunken asshole of a mentor to kick ass Katniss and Peeta during the games. I can't help but love him.

I got my mother to read the books and we were talking about how we can be so in love with a drunken asshole like Haymitch. I think it's in part because Suzanne Collins wrote Haymitch's character in such a way that you kind of feel sorry for him. He drinks because of what he had do deal with in the games. Because you know he has that guilt weighing on his shoulders you kind of give him a pass for the drinking.

You get so caught up in the story and Suzanne Collins' writing, that even though a character might say something and have it make perfect sense, but it doesn't fully sink in until Katniss herself says it out loud.

Truely an awesome series, I am only a quarter of the way through Mockinjay so I will update with my opinion on the ending and what not.

xoxo,
A Wannabe Writer

P.S. Suzanne Collins is coming to my local Books-A-Million this Thursday so, squee!

0 comments:

Post a Comment